This summer 2022, Turtle Guardians has partnered with the Peterborough and Haliburton Road Departments to monitor and mitigate turtle road mortality at key hotspots to help reduce the numbers of turtles being hit and injured or killed. But you can be a Guardian anywhere too! We will make arrangements with Road Departments as needed for these measures.
In addition to saving turtles in hot spots, you will help collect data on turtle species and numbers, ensure that nesting turtles get the protection they need, and that injured turtles get the medical care they require. T
hank you for all your time and dedication in helping Ontario's turtles!
Turtle Crossing Guards Training Modules
Part 1: Turtle Identification Module
Part 2: Turtle Crossing Guards Safety and Procedure Module
Stay tuned for the training module coming soon! For now, you can refer to the Road Researcher training module as many of the safety guidelines are very similar.
Turtle Crossing Guards Monitor Protocols
- 2021 TRCM Protocols & Safety_(printable to take into the field)
- 2021 TRCM Decision Tree (printable to take into the field - use if your site does not have silt fencing)
- 2021 TRCM Decision Tree - With Silt Fencing (printable to take into the field - use if your site has silt fencing)
Hardcopy Field Data Sheets
- 2021 TRCM Field Sheet - Turtle Sighting Data (printable to take into the field)
- 2021 TRCM Field Sheet - Nest Sighting Data (printable to take into the field)
- 2021 TRCM Field Sheet - Silt Fence Inspection Data (printable to take into the field)
Online Reporting Sheet
When you sign up, you will be emailed a link to access your own online Google Sheet which you will use to record your data during/after every field survey. If you are recording your findings on paper sheets, you will then transcribe the data onto this online Google Sheet once you get home. Alternatively, if you have internet access in the field, you can record your data directly onto the online Google Sheet. Please contact us if you have any difficulties with this document.
These opportunities are made possible with the generous funding provided by