- Carapace (upper shell) has large sculpted scutes (triangular sections) resembling irregular pyramids- the shell looks like "wood"
- Plastron (lower shell) is yellow with black spots
- The skin of the neck and forearms are reddish brown to bright orange
- Likes upland areas and cool streams near deciduous forests, red maple swamps and marshy meadows
- Good climber
- Active during the day
- Eats worms, slugs, insects, wild fruit, mushrooms and vegetation
Range: found in The Land Between and southern Ontario