- This event has passed.
Reptiles on Roads Mitigation Workshop
January 14 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Join us for a 2 hour webinar with the Land Between and Eco-Kare International for part 2 of a 2 part webinar series about road ecology and reptiles. In Part 1 we focused on 'maintenance and adaptive management' of exclusion fence types with a focus on mitigation installed within and adjacent to the Georgian Bay Biosphere. We also hosted a field day to perform maintenance and discuss adaptive management of mitigation installed on Nobel Road, Township of McDougall.
In this second session we will give an overview of wildlife mitigation for reptiles (with a focus on turtles) in Ontario, focusing on the following aspects:
1) Road threats for reptiles and why they are so severe.
2) Summary of road-wildlife mitigation techniques for turtles/reptiles with a focus on underpasses, exclusion fencing and habitat enhancements as a site-specific mitigation strategy
3) Design considerations that include types of exclusion fencing (pros, cons, and pricing), types of underpasses (pros, cons, and pricing), habitat enhancements with a focus on nesting mounds near roads
4) Review from part 1 webinar about maintenance and adaptive management
5) Procurement and tendering process; grass-roots installations versus contractor, how can we improve this process so it is competitive, mainstream, etc.